How do I configure an asset discovery scan?
How can I create a configurable scan, not the default scan that scans the master subnet?
1- The asset discovery module allows to discovery devices on the LAN very easily. The following video shows how to proceed:
2- Configurable scan:
- Go to Asset Discovery > Configuration > Scan Configurations
- Right click on "Scan Configurations" then click on "Create scan configuration..."
- Select "Configurable" instead of the default "Automatic:
- Click Next then select the following options:
- Check the checkbox "Scan Windows remotely (vial WMI, SMB...)" as for this example only information from Windows devices matter
- Select "Create a new target list"
- Uncheck "Scan scanner's subnet to set another subnet than the master's
- Click Next then give a name to the scan
- Click Next then:
- Check the checkbox "Windows (SMB)"
- Keep selecting the line "Windows (SMB)"
- Click on the key and select an account or more that has admin access to SMB/WMI on the targets
- Right click on the sub-node "Targets" then on "Create Target List..."
- Add an address range to scan:
- Click on Finish, then Yes:
- Go to the tab "Sessions" to check the scan progress:
Results from this scan will appear in the tab "Sessions" above when the scan is completed.
All discovered devices will appear in the sub-node "Discovered Devices":
More information on the prerequisites to discover and gather inventories efficiently from devices:
- Client Management: Asset discovery: Prerequisites to get remote inventories from windows clients
- Client Management: Asset discovery: prerequisites to get remote inventories from unix clients
- Client Management: Asset discovery: prerequisites to get remote inventories from network equipments
Some information on how do the scans work: Client Management: How does the Asset Discovery module work.